Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Moebius

So I couldn't pick just one story to write about because this guy is too awesome!

When I happened upon Jean Giraud Moebius' work in Heavy Metal magazine and Lieutenant Blueberry, I was blown away and found myself overwhelmed looking at his intensely beautiful images. Even my friend who says he always reads through an entire comic without peaking ahead to see the pictures like myself, yet he couldn't help but flip through and study every page when he read an issue of Blueberry.

Each panel of his comics could stand on there own as great illustrations yet they join together to  bombard the senses. Moebius displays a masterful handling of everything he does in his comics, with his unique rippling lines that flow around forms, his wide spectrum of unpredictable color choices using warms and cools to draw emphasis where he wants the reader to look. His compassions are also enjoyable often showing a figure in an immense environment of living structures, his panels and page layouts also assist his compositions with many large, long, and tall panels to show off his beautiful imaginative world that flow through the pages. Even though the art is stunning and commands a lot of attention I still felt engaged in the stories.

Also I just want to quickly finish off by saying that I know Blueberry may be full of stereotypes but I don't think it was the goal to be historically accurate, just like many classic Spaghetti Westerns as well as Samurai and noir films that are often unrealistic and full of stereotypes, I think these are more about style and  emotional feeling. Also I thinks it's funny that forigners seem to make some of the best movies about the american west which are also sometimes based of samurai film.

No comments:

Post a Comment