Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Fun Home

So, I got some blog posts to get done. Lets jump right in shall we?

Some early reactions: I can see that Alison Bechdel really knew what she was doing with this, image and art that say just enough each, unlike many who you can tell are more of a writer or illustrator, she marries the two well.
Something I didn't expect was that it didn't take long to get to the depressing stuff without much build up, which I guess is effective to let the reader know what they're getting into.

Personal connections: So I didn't get super far into the story but it didn't take me long to feel a familiarity between this story and stories my mom tells me about her childhood. Similar to this story, my mom had an abusive step-father who would beat her and her sister if the house wasn't cleaned exactly the way he wanted it. Even though her step dad treated her horrible most of the time, my mom still think back to glimmers of good times she had with him and also she doesn't hold a grudge for him since his death.
Some other interesting connections I noticed  include My dad looking exactly like the dad in the story with everything including the glasses, big nose, shaggy hair, wrinkles along his mouth and in between his eyebrows, his jawline, and even the hairy legs under short shorts he wears when he works around the house. Another thing that I thought was interesting that is like when the protagonist talks about the image she gets of the mail man as a milk man in her grandmother's story, is when ever my mom tells the stories about cleaning the house for her step dad I always imagine her natural dad's big old house that looks a lot like the one in the story.

So I definitely hope to finish Fun Home and maybe even try to get my mom to read it at some point too.

No comments:

Post a Comment